Having recently rebuilt our kitchen in our current house, we have some fairly clear ideas on what we want in our new build.
General requirements are:
- Large kitchen with large windows.
- Tall ceiling.
- Separate utility room and larder.
- No boilers or heating systems in this space.
- Tiled floor assuming a solid concrete base.
- Underfloor heating.
Cupboard & Drawer Fronts + End Panels
After the experience of updating our current kitchen, we will definately be going for kitchen worktops that are 665mm deep. It makes installing appliances much easier because there is better space for the plumbing and electrical sockets behind the standard size (and depth) appliances. It also provides more space around the rear of sinks and gas hobs.
You can get kitchen cabinets (carcases) that make best use of the extra depth provided by a 665mm deep worktop and we plan to do this.
Our current kitchen has a granite resin worktop. Whilst it was not cheap, we have been very happy with the quality of the surface and its ability to take hot items.
The gap between the edge of a worktop and any island worktop needs to be at least 100cm, ideally more. Appliance doors (e.g. dishwasher) often mean you need more space than this.
- Soft Closing Drawers
- Plinths to floor with plinth seals.
- No 'magic corners' in kitchen corners as these are a right pain. Shelves only. Not best use of space but assuming space is not a problem.
- Wide worktop with rounded corners.
- Task lighting above.
- Small inset sink for food preparation
- Storage under half of the length.
- Other half used as breakfast bar with stools for seating. Room for four stools/people to sit. Low-profile supports to enable legs to fit underneath.
- Height adjustable stools on wheels to make it easier to sit at breakfast bar. Current stools are not on wheels and its hard to manouvre into position as they are quite tall.
- Definately not a stainless steel sink as they scratch.
- Also plan to have a small sink on the island.
Cooker & Hob
- 120cm wide with two side-by-side or single unit in stainless steel.
- 120cm hob depending on cooker choice in stainless steel.
- 120cm cooker hood in stainless steel.
- Extractor fan to outside.
- Warm white LED lighting in ceiling and over worktops.
- Warm white LED lighting under wall units automated as convenience lighting.
In main kitchen space:
- Large fridge with integrated water chiller and ice machine.
- It is very tempting to have two dishwashers installed based on our experience of renting luxury homes.
In utility room:
- Chest freezer
We are a huge fan of Global knives and not a big fan of knife blocks. Something like this is what we have in mind for storage of our knives. We are not sure who produces stuff like this but, we may end up with a custom fabrication to achieve the same purpose. It not really efficient use of space to use a whole drawer for storing a few knives but, we are hoping space is not going to be a problem in our next kitchen.
- Electric Heated towel rail with independent/intelligent control.